This weeks recipe is Chorizo and Chickpea Stew with Mashed Sweet Potato, something new to try this week. Our girls love chorizo and I usually cook it in a creamy sauce but I thought I’d try something different this time. We had two leftover meals this week, sometimes a lazy week is what I need when I am struggling to keep three children happy! Tonight we are having a BBQ, I love weekend BBQs as do the rest of the family! Here’s a run down of the other meals we enjoyed this week. All meals were homemade and enjoyed by the whole family.
Monday: Chorizo, chickpea stew with mashed sweet potato
Tuesday: Spaghetti Bolognaise (always a favourite)
Wednesday: Leftover chorizo stew with brown rice this time
Thursday: Leftover spaghetti bolognaise
Friday: Prawn and vegetable curry noodles
Saturday: Chicken fajitas (using spices, multigrain wraps, roast chicken and veg) – you don’t need a special kit.
Sunday: BBQ – steak, chicken skewers, BBQ sweet corn, roast veg cous cous salad
Recipe of the Week: Chorizo and Chickpea Stew with Mashed Sweet Potato
This recipe could be altered in many ways, you could use whatever vegetables you like. This dish makes enough for 2 adults, 2 small children and a baby over 2 nights. The first night we had mashed sweet potato and used the leftovers to make sweet potato and oregano scones and the second night we had brown rice, I also topped up the stew with some passata to thicken the sauce.
2 chorizo sausages, about 400-500g
1/2 bunch of kale, roughly torn
1/2 an onion, diced
handful of green beans, trimmed
1 small carrot, diced
400g can of chickpeas, drained
4 mushrooms, sliced
handful (approx 5) dried apricots, chopped (optional)
2 tbsp tomato puree
400g can of diced tomatoes
1/2 empty tomato can full of water
black pepper to taste
1 large sweet potato (close to 1kg I’d say!)
milk and butter to mash
- In a large saucepan cook the chorizo over a medium heat until the oil starts to run out
- Add the apricots, carrot, chickpeas, mushrooms and onion and continue to cook for a few minutes
- Add the kale and green beans and stir in
- Add the can of tomatoes and tomato puree. Then half fill the empty can of tomatoes with water and add to the pan
- Increase the heat to high and cook, allowing to bubble and reduce down slightly
- Add black pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the sweet potato, boil until tender.
- Mash with milk and butter
- Serve the chorizo stew with the mashed potatoes
Let me know what you enjoy for dinner in the comments below.