It’s been a busy week, we are half way through school holidays and have done plenty of entertaining activities which means I’m exhausted but somehow the girls never seem to fade in energy! This week’s recipe is for homemade burgers, nothing beats the smell of the BBQ!! We’ve had some very pleasant Autumn days this week which meant swimming in the pool which is a nice treat for Autumn. Here’s a run down of what we enjoyed this week. All meals were homemade (except for Saturday night dinner out) and enjoyed by the whole family.
Monday: Chicken, bacon and vegetable carbonara
Tuesday: Sausage, kale, potato in a tomato sauce with homemade crusty bread
Wednesday: Smoked cod fish pie with steamed beans
Thursday: Homemade burgers
Friday: Leftover fish pie
Saturday: Out for an impromptu dinner, pasta and pizza
Sunday: Pasta with veg and bacon in a homemade pesto sauce
Recipe of the Week: Homemade Burgers
I could not believe how much the girls ate, all three of them! They loved this dish and we loved all the extra add-ons. This dish makes enough for 2 adults, 2 small children and a baby. We even had some leftovers for lunch on Friday.
500g beef mince
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
1tsp dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 handfuls of grated mozzarella
5 eggs (for frying)
4 rashers of bacon (I didn’t give any to Little F)
4 damper rolls (burger rolls, I bought these)
1 onion, finely chopped
grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
avocado, corn and tomato salsa
- In a bowl mix the beef, red onion, egg, mustard, paprika, garlic and mozzarella
- Shape into small balls (I made small balls for the kids to manage and a few bigger ones for the adults)
- If you have time put them on a tray in the fridge to firm up
- When you are ready, fire up the BBQ or cook them under the grill
- Flatten your mince balls into burgers and cook
- At the same time cook the bacon, onions and mushrooms and fry the eggs
- Toast the buns on the BBQ
- Ensure the burgers are cooked through
- Serve the burgers on the rolls and top with whichever add-ons you choose. The girls couldn’t manage anything extra on their burgers so they ate their bacon and eggs separately but once the burger was cut into four they quite easily managed to finish off the whole thing!
Let me know what you enjoy for dinner in the comments below.