Today I have a quick and easy recipe to share with you. Hummus – it’s healthy, it’s tasty and generally kids like it!
Hummus is versatile – you can use it as a dip for raw vegetables and also as a spread. Would you believe some popular, well-known brands that you buy in the supermarket have sugar added to them? The question I ask is – why is this necessary? I decided to make my own and I use a very simple recipe which is packed full of flavour.
Chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus, they are packed full of goodness and keep you feeling full for longer. Some of their benefits include:
- Great source of protein
- High in iron so can boost your energy
- Rich in fibre
- Low GI
Hummus is so easy to make, you can see from my video below that in a few minutes you can whip up a batch of hummus and keep it in your fridge for about 3 days in a sealed container. It doesn’t last long in my house. Little S and Little F love it, as do I.
Here is the simple Recipe….
400g tin of chickpeas (I buy no added salt)
2 gloves of garlic, crushed
3 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp olive oil
pinch of ground black pepper
large pinch of cumin (I particularly like the flavour)
1 tbsp greek natural sugar-free yoghurt
large pinch of paprika
pinch of paprika to dust at the end
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- In a food processor add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, black pepper, cumin, paprika and yoghurt
- Blend to a smooth dip, check the flavours and adjust as required – you can add more oil depending on what texture you like
- Transfer to a serving dish and dust with a pinch of paprika
- Hummus will last in the fridge in a sealed container for about 3 days
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel, there’ll be plenty of recipe videos to come!