When you can’t have bread you crave any form of it – well that is what I have found with my kids. No matter what version of ‘bread’ I make they get excited. Curry with bread for dinner to dip into the sauce – yes please!
Currently in our house we don’t eat gluten, dairy, sugar or starches, oh and little S is intolerant of almonds so that removes most gluten flours and gluten alternative flours! Recently I came across lentil flour in the supermarket and thought I’d give it a go. It’s full of protein and fibre and can be made into an easy flat bread.
Every time I make this I change the ingredients, it’s easy to sub alternative ingredients and to add different flavours. This evening I made a garlic and rosemary flat bread to go with our beef curry. The girls loved it and gobbled it up. Thankfully I made a double batch so we can have the same tomorrow!
Ingredients (all the seeds are optional, I add them to add extra nutrients):
- 2/3rd cup lentil flour
- 2 tbsp flax seed (linseed)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 cup water
- dried herbs and sea salt – I use rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat fan oven to 180C
- Blend the seeds in a food processor, add the flour, water and herbs and blend thoroughly
- Pour the batter into a lined tray
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
- During that time mince the garlic and mix with the coconut oil, add some herbs and sea salt
- Remove the tray from the oven, brush the oil, garlic, herb mixture over the top of the bread
- Bake for a further 15 minutes
- Let cool, cut up and serve
This is a flat bread so great for dipping into a curry.