Tonight we are having beef curry with coconut bread. I feel like I should live in Thailand as we are consuming so many coconut products at the moment. But it just goes to show – just because you are eating fats (good fats), it doesn’t mean you are going to get fat! Coconut is so good for you and I’m trying to increase the amount of fat that the girls eat so coconut bread it is.
The slow cooker goes on in the morning and I come home to beautiful, soft beef cooked in curry powder, coconut cream, chicken broth (because broth features in everything in our house!) and lovely veggies. As we are not eating rice, instead I’m going to serve bread to dip into the creamy sauce.
This recipe is with thanks to Wholefood Simply. I left out the maple syrup as I wanted a savoury bread for dinner and I added linseeds, just because.
To make you need….
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1.5 cups yoghurt (I used coconut yoghurt because of Little S’s dairy intolerance)
- 6 eggs (wowsers, it’s packed with protein)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Line a loaf tin
- Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl
- Pour into the loaf tin and cook for 45-50 minutes (test with a skewer)
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before allowing to cool on a rack
- Wait until it is cool before cutting so it doesn’t crumble. As most coconut bread is, this is slightly dense but slathered with butter or dipped in curry sauce (which is my plan) it will be beautiful. Dave and I tried it last night and it was very nice.
I hope you enjoy this gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, GAPS friendly bread. I’ve no doubt you could add fruit to it to make it into a sweet version (like banana or berries).